Join us in our triumphal celebration of Christ’s resurrection! Special music leads a traditional Easter service, featuring Calvary's Festival Choir and South Hills Brass.
Thursday, March 19, 2020
Dear Calvary Family,
In the midst of one of the greatest challenges our entire world is now facing; the present COVID-19 Pandemic has already presented devastating effects on so many - not only those who have been diagnosed with the disease but everyone else! Medical personal who are desperately trying to care for those infected as well as officials working to stop the spread of this new virus. We are in “Uncharted Waters” and everything seems to be constantly changing. Therefore, I wanted to share Calvary’s present responses to the situations we are now facing;
1) I am encouraging all of us to increase our contacts via phone, email, facetime, etc. with family and others, and increase our facetime with God. As I said last Sunday, “’Social Distancing’ does not mean ‘Spiritual Distancing’”. Increasing our prayers and our prayer actions is a must! Isolation can quickly lead to depression and other concerns therefore our not-in-person contacts are very powerful and can make a positive difference.
2) Our worship time will continue, but in a different format. We will not be able to have our regular in person worship service for at least the next two weeks. Instead we will be providing a “service” remotely during the same time on Sunday mornings at 11:00am. Please join us on Facebook live streaming (https://www.facebook.com/calvaryumcpittsburgh/) or YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCsKZCfPj2N4M_9SjNMW2XjQ) once the recorded service has been posted. Of course, our financial gifts and offerings are still needed and therefore can be shared through the regular mail or via online giving with Paypal at https://bit.ly/2U1VpiS.
3) I am putting a team together that will attempt to call all of our members and friends just to check in and offer times of prayer. We are very blessed here at Calvary to have so many clergy as part of our faith family!
4) All of our regular activities and programs are being suspended until further notice. This includes our Sunday School, Adult Studies, Choir, Children’s Church, Sleeping Bag Ministry and all others.
5) We are attempting to keep our office open but on “Lock Down”. No tours or outside groups are permitted in the building and we are minimalizing any other personal contact; however, phones and emails are active. We are doing our very best to respond to all the requests and concerns that we have received!
6) The Tiffany Concert for this Sunday has been cancelled and we are hoping to reschedule when the current concerns subside.
One of my favorite scriptures was written by Apostle Paul to those called Colossians and it contains the best advice for us even today!
Colossians 3: 12-17
Put on then, as God’s Family holy and beloved, compassion, kindness, lowliness, meekness, and patience, forbearing one another and, if one has a complaint against another, forgiving each other; as the Lord has forgiven you, so you also must forgive. And above all these things put on love, which binds everything together in perfect harmony. And let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, to which indeed you were called in the one body. And be thankful. Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly, teach and admonish one another in all wisdom, and sing psalms and hymns and spiritual Songs with thankfulness in your hearts to God. And whatever you do. In word or deed, do everything in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God through him.
Rev. Larry Homitsky
Sunday Morning Worship - 11:00am
Also offered during the year:
Sunday School - 10:00-10:45am
Adult Bible Study - 9:30-10:45am
Small groups engage like-minded peers who have a variety of needs and interests.
At Calvary, our small groups form naturally out of the interests and needs of our community. There is always a new small group popping up as our congregation is growing. Explore our groups and how to get involved.
Join us!More Info
Your wedding ceremony is one of the most special and unforgettable moments of your entire life—so it is only natural that you want it to be personal and unique. The right location can make all the difference in making your wedding day perfect for you, your friends, and family. The beautiful and historic Calvary United Methodist Church stands majestically, waiting to be the distinctive venue for your Pittsburgh wedding.More Info
Calvary now offers a convenient way to give/donate through PayPal! You can send your gifts to Calvary online with a debit card, credit card or PayPal account. This method gives you the peace of mind that your contribution is going to Calvary safely and securely.
In the spring of 1892, the congregants hired a young, up-and-coming artist named Luis Comfort Tiffany to design the windows. They contracted him for $15,770 to create 189 windows. The windows were the largest and most expensive commissions to Louis Comfort Tiffany at the time. When the windows were installed in 1895, Calvary then had three of the largest Tiffany windows in the world. These three windows are still in the top 10 largest Tiffany windows in the world to this day. People travel from all over the world to look at them. To this day, we are not aware of any other facility in the world with this many Tiffany windows.More Info
Want to explore Calvary first hand? Take a 360 degree virtual tour of our church to view the interior and exterior of Calvary and see the breath-taking Tiffany windows!Take A Virtual Tour of Calvary!